Monday 9 June 2008

Not long now...

Until we'll be reaping some of the rewards of all our hard slog over the last few months.
The first early potatoes are starting to flower and this is supposed to be a sign that they're ready. Although when I dug one up I only found 3 tubers...boo! I'll probably have to step up the watering and wait until more flowers have opened.
The peas have started to flower, can't wait for my first pod eaten, there and then! The broad bean flowers are now giving way to tiny little beans, so they'll need more watering too...sigh!
At the weekend we planted 20 replacements for the celeriac seedlings that got munched (an Ebay purchase) and 12 red cabbage plants that I couldn't resist buying at the garden centre the other day. The cabbage plants have been netted against the pigeons and butterflies and plenty of slug pellets put round all of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel that half the energy I expend on the allotment is used up devising ways of fighting assorted pests. They never seem to let up.

Lisa said...

Yeah I know. There's been a respite from slugs in the last week because its been dry but it started raining now and I've run out of pellets!