Tuesday 27 May 2008

More planting out

Finished digging a bed next to the courgettes on Plot 86 and put the sweetcorn in it. Figured that since they're only a couple of inches high then they shouldn't get too battered by the really windy conditions we had yesterday and not too big that their growth gets checked by transplanting (as I think that's what happened last year). Just in case they get attacked by the slugs I put some pellets (organic ones) down around them.
We also attacked the weeds that have taken over the paved area around the shed and now have quite a nice 'patio' where we can put the deckchairs and maybe the barbeque if the weather picks up (I'm writing this whilst the rain's throwing itself against the window).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The rain flattened half of my sweetcorn so I've had to support the plants with short canes.
I too am staring out at rain lashing the window!

Matron said...

I'm just about to plant out my second wave of sweetcorn. Even the little plants have a great big long taproot which is winding round the bottom of the pot. When it gets planted out that taproot will go straight down to stabilize the plant.