Wednesday 23 April 2008

Lettuce eat salad

Well in about 6 weeks we should have a fresh supply.
I sowed the 12 leftover soaked peas, rocket, little gem, American land cress, spicy mixed leaves and 'Quattro Stagioni' mixed leaves into a long plastic 'window-box' type of container. Plan is to eat the pea shoots and start picking the salad as young leaves, eventually leaving a few to mature.
In other seed sowing news I've sown about 40 peas in the module tray, as I don't have enough guttering for another large batch. I also soaked them overnight to see if that makes them germinate quicker than the first batch.
I've decided on growing three of the normal shaped but stripey courgettes 'Striato d'Italia' and two of the round 'Tondo di Piacenza'. I might also make a second later sowing, depending on how well the summer shapes up. I sow the seeds on their sides (see photo) as its supposed to make it easier for them to germinate and stops them rotting in the soil.

No comments: